by Abraham Kline
One of life's unfortunate realities is that the things we have today are not guaranteed to exist tomorrow. In an instant, everything can change. Sadly, The Hooks family, who suffered a devastating house fire on November 7, 2018, lost everything they owned. Fortunately, the family all survived the fire, but the house itself was a total loss. With no homeowner’s insurance to help with replacement costs, the family was left with absolutely nothing.
Thankfully, family members, friends, and several community members rallied around this local family and organized a clothing drive immediately after the fire to help. The Coal Run/McIntyre Volunteer Fire Department and the Hilltop Baptist Church spearheaded the campaign.
Although clothing was needed and appreciated, the community felt the need to help further by hosting a fundraiser to assist the family with other needs they may have. On Saturday, November 17, the Coal Run/McIntyre Volunteer Fire Department held a Spaghetti Dinner and basket raffle at the fire hall for the family to raise funds to help them rebuild their lives. Seventy-six baskets were donated for the cause.
On December 2, 2018 the Markle Fire Department in Apollo will hold a Spaghetti dinner for The Hooks family at the fire station at 470 Joyce Street. Donations for a Chinese auction are currently being sought. Please contact 724-842-4641 for more information on donating to the cause.
Richard Hooks Sr. was an active member of the Markle VFD for 37 years. Richard Hooks, Jr. is the Fire Chief for Coal Run/McIntyre Station 290.
To learn more about how to help or for more information about the benefit, check out the Coal Run/McIntyre VFD and the Markle VFD on their Facebook pages or call 724-726-0602 and 724-727-7114.